It’s perfectly natural for puppies roaming wanting to explore their surroundings.
They get to know the world around them through 2 primary ways, their noses and mouths.
This is the reason why dogs chew on just about everything they encounter. However it is quite easy to correct this behavior.
Table Of Contents
- Puppy-Proof The Confined Area – Dog Chewing Problems’ Areas
- Confine Your Pet Doggies In A Crate, Cage To Prevent Chewing When You Are Away On Holiday
- Supervise Your Uncrated Pet Doggies Closely
- Give Your Pet Doggies Chew Toys To Prevent Chewing
- Make Departures Low Key When You Go To Work Or Overseas
- Give Your Puppy Plenty Of Exercise
- Correct Dog Chewing Problems With Inappropriate Objects
- Teach Your Pet Doggies To Ignore Non-Toy Objects
Puppy-Proof The Confined Area – Dog Chewing Problems’ Areas
Remove all items that your puppy can chew on, including socks, shoes, furniture, plants, etc., from the area in which you confine your puppy.
Confine Your Pet Doggies In A Crate, Cage To Prevent Chewing When You Are Away On Holiday
As puppies learn with their mouths, giving your teething puppy free rein in the house is asking for trouble.
Keep him confined; you do not want him to go to chew on your expensive living room furniture.
Make sure to supply the puppy with chew toys so the puppy has something to do while you are away.
Supervise Your Uncrated Pet Doggies Closely
Just like caring for a toddler, you should always be aware of where your uncrated pup is and what he is doing.
Give Your Pet Doggies Chew Toys To Prevent Chewing
The sole focus of your dog’s chewing should be directed toward items you select.
There are a wide range of items from which to choose including many safe, long-lasting chew toys that are made especially for teething puppies that will keep them occupied and content for hours.
The chew toys should not be similar to the items you do not want your puppy to chew.
Your puppy cannot tell the difference between your new dress shoes and an old tattered pair.
Make Departures Low Key When You Go To Work Or Overseas
It is to avoid causing separation anxiety from your puppy, which is often expressed through nonstop barking, whining, or destructive chewing.
A good technique to use is ignoring the dogs five minutes before leaving and five minutes after returning home
Give Your Puppy Plenty Of Exercise
It is to relieve boredom and burn off energy – 2 significant factors that contribute to destructive chewing. An hour of running, walking, and/or swimming twice a day is ideal.
Correct Dog Chewing Problems With Inappropriate Objects
If you catch your puppy in the act of chewing anything but his chew toy, remove the object and replace it with an acceptable chew toy.
If your puppy then chews on the toy, praise him.
You always want to reinforce desired behavior with praise.
Alternatively, treat the ‘inappropriate object’ with a product designed to deter chewing, such as Grannick’s Bitter Apple or Drs. Foster and Smith Chew Stop which will give it a bad taste.
Teach Your Pet Doggies To Ignore Non-Toy Objects
If he constantly chews the wrong things, you can try out the following technique:
- Place tempting objects on the floor along with your pup’s chew toy and pretend not to pay any attention to him.
- If (and usually when) he starts to put his mouth over one of the forbidden objects, correct with a firm ‘No!’ and point out his bones.
- Once he learns that he can only have the toy when you are in the room, it is time to leave the room for short intervals. If he chews on forbidden objects after you leave the room, your quick return will catch him in the act – the only time when corrective action should be taken.
- Again, give him the toy, and praise if it is accepted. If he is chewing forbidden objects but you cannot catch him in the act, he should be curated unsupervised until he learns what is and what is not acceptable to chew on.
- Make sure to leave several dog toys accessible at all times. It helps to have a certain location such as a basket that contains the dog’s toys where he can go to get one when he wants.
We hope that you can share your love with your pet doggies the most using Pet Doggies ‘ information!